The course for the Bay Run 7km events is outlined in detail below.
1. The start line is on Leichhardt Oval Number 3 (near Registration).
2. Run in an easterly direction (anti-clockwise) towards Callan Park along the newly refurbished ‘bay run’ course until Waterfront Drive. Course marshals will direct you past the narrow turns around Leichhardt Rowing Club. Please watch for the movement of rowing shells and other members of the general public through this area
3. Turn left and run along the left hand side of Waterfront Drive (beside Callan Park Oval). There will be marshals at either end of Waterfront Drive warning traffic about the race. Please watch out for cars as the road will not be closed.
4. Run to the top of the small hill on Waterfront Drive and then take a left turn down the hill to King George Oval. Course marshals will direct you at this point.
5. Continue along the sealed running track (with King George Oval on your right). After passing the end of the Oval you will continue on the path up the hill past the new children’s playground on your right.
6. At the top of the hill the course then takes a left turn (marked by witches hats and as directed by a course marshal) and runners will be directed onto the new multi use (pedestrians and cyclists) lane on the Iron Cove Bridge. Please take care at this point as this lane will NOT be closed to the public during the race.
7. Run across the Iron Cove Bridge and take the first left turn as directed by a course marshal onto the ramp leading toward the Drummoyne Pool.
8. At the bottom of the ramp you will need to stay on the footpath. Please beware that a) Henley Marine Drive will NOT be closed to traffic and b) the footpath will not be closed to the general public. Therefore please take extra care along this section.
9. Run past Drummoyne Rowers and along the Henley Marine Drive footpath. Please take care not to the leave the footpath and move out onto the road. In addition please slow down from the bottom of the hill near South St to Thompson St as there are a couple of areas where there is no fence and a narrow gap to pass through.
10. At Thompson St the footpath widens and it will be easier to pass slower runners.
A water station is located in this section at the corner of Brent St and Henley Marine Drive (approximately 4km mark)
11. Continue on the footpath for approximately 3.5 kilometres to the corner of City West Link and Timbrell Drive. There will be course marshals at this point to manage the left turn corner but please take care. Runners should run in single file around the corner.
12. Turn left and continue along the footpath past the UTS Haberfield Rowing Club. There is a blind corner here and two cycle gates in the middle of the path so again please take care.
13. Run up the right hand path onto Lilyfield Road bridge.
14. At the end of the bridge, continue for approximately 30 metres and then turn left as directed by a course marshal. Note: do not use the stone stairs or run down the grassed hill.
15. Continue along the designated footpath for 50 metres and turn right until you are back on the bay run path.
16. Continue on the path until just past the corner of Frazer and Morton Streets.
17. You will then be directed by a course marshal towards the finish line.
Note: These course details are correct as at 29 July 2012. Due to the nature of the course the three councils are constantly making improvements. Any changes to the course will be communicated as soon as possible.
Course markings (each kilometre will be marked with a Km sign)
1Km – On Waterfront Drive just past the corner of Callan Park as you go up the hill
2km – On the Iron Cove bridge (about ¾ of the way across). This kilometre sign may not be put up on the day if it interferes with the safety of runners.
3km – Opposite Thompson St
4km – Approx 100 metres prior to Brent St
5km – Opposite Duchess St
6km – Approx 80 metres prior to the UTS Rowing club